An extension cord appears to be the cause of a house fire on Fir Street in Sultan Friday, Nov. 2.
Firefighters got a call from a neighbor that there was black smoke issuing from the home, and when firefighters arrived, they found that no one was home.
The fire apparently began when an extension cord under a carpet caught fire, burning a hole through the floor, said Sultan Fire Chief Merlin Halverson.
In the heavy smoke, three dogs and two cats died of smoke inhalation, but no people were injured.
The house itself is salvageable, but damage to the house and property is estimated at about $120,000.
There were three engines, an aid car and two chiefs, including the support sent from the Gold Bar Fire Department, with which Sultan has an agreement of mutual aid.