This photo shows the north and west sides of the Monroe Central Grade School, c1924.
The school was built in 1916 by Howard S. Wright, whose company later built the Space Needle and Seattle Monorail. It replaced the two earlier grammar school buildings that were on the same site on the southeast corner of Ferry and Fremont Streets. One of the buildings was converted into the school’s gymnasium.
The building had twelve classrooms, six on each floor, and originally housed eight grades, with boys and girls in separate classrooms for seventh and eighth grades. The building now houses the district administration offices.