A man who was pulled from a burning house in Gold Bar last week has died of smoke inhalation.
Allen T. Sharlow, 54, died Friday, Jan 25 at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle of organ failure secondary to smoke inhalation, the King County Medical Examiner’s Office reported.
Sharlow was inside a home behind the Prospector’s Restaurant in Gold Bar on Jan. 19 when restaurant patrons noticed smoke coming from the house at about 6 p.m. They called the fire department, and several patrons, including a retired Los Angeles fire captain, tried to get in to rescue the man inside.
Heat and smoke drove them back, however, and within minutes the Gold Bar Fire Department was able to get into the home and get the man out.
The performed CPR on the scene, then transported Sharlow to Harborview.
The home did not appear to have electricity, nor did it have working smoke alarms, and the fire may have been started by a kerosene stove, investigators say.