At 4:38 pm, a 911 call came in reporting a house fire in the 13400 block of Forest View Ave. SE, Monroe. Monroe District #3 firefighters responded to the scene. Flames were visible from the garage of the home where it is believed the fire started. Small explosions could be heard that were attributed to paint cans and ammunition that were stored in the garage.
Additional firefighters from Sultan, Clearview, Duvall, Gold Bar and Snohomish also responded as the flames quickly moved to the main part of the two story home. Houses on either side of this residence were evacuated.
The house was occupied at the time of the fire by a 9 year old boy who was watching TV as his mom went to pick up his sibling. The boy said he smelled smoke, and then saw the garage on fire and quickly left the residence. No one else was in the residence at the time of the fire.
It took firefighters about 40 minutes to extinguish the flames. The Snohomish County Fire Marshall and Monroe Police Department investigators remain on scene. It is unclear how the fire started. The house appears to be a total loss.
The displaced family of four will be staying with relatives who live in the area. There were no reported injuries.