Fred and George A. Hagedorn, originally from Minnesota by way of Walla Walla, opened Commercial House Nov. 1, 1906, on the northeast corner of Main and Blakeley Streets, at 123 W. Main. They bought the building from Monroe’s first doctor, Dr. R.O. Ball.
The first-class hotel had all the modern conveniences, with 12 rooms upstairs, offices downstairs, a dining room, a ladies’ parlor, a sample room for salesmen and a concrete sidewalk in front.
The Monroe Theatre was located in the smaller storefront at 121 W. Main.