A house fire on Kelsey Street that responders at first deemed suspicious has now been ruled an accident.
The blaze, which was reported at 3 p.m. Friday, May 17, started in a bedroom in which a portable electric heater was positioned too close to combustible materials.
“It is unclear if the fire was a result of malfunction or as a result of a normal operating condition,” said Mike Fitzgerald, fire inspector of Fire District #3 in Monroe.
“Firefighters made a great stop on this fire,” said Fitzgerald. “When they entered, the smoke layer was to the floor, and they had to feel their way to locate the fire and to ventilate the structure to prevent flashover. No one was home at the time of the fire. The building was protected with smoke alarms, but not fire sprinklers.”
There were no injuries. Damage is estimated at $63,000.