All three Monroe firefighters injured in a house fire on Monday have been released from the hospital and are back home.
The firefighters were battling a house fire that destroyed a home on SR 203, five miles south of Monroe. The fire was difficult to fight in that there are no hydrants nearby, meaning water had to be transported to the fire in tenders.
The three firefighters weren’t injured together in a single incident, but rather in three separate incidents, which seems to have been an unusual coincidence.
One firefighter got an injured hand that required surgery, another became overheated, and the third suffered a concussion.
“It’s very unusual for a firefighter to be injured on the fire ground, let alone three firefighters on the same incident,” said Monroe Fire Marshall Michael Fitzgerald. “Thankfully, all of our firefighters will recover and will be back to work as soon as they are fully recovered.”
The house was destroyed, displacing three residents who have received assistance from the Red Cross. The cause of the fire is believed to be electrical wiring.