This covered railroad bridge across the Skykomish River just east of Monroe at Buck Island was the longest covered railroad bridge in the United States. It was completed in 1939 and was 450 feet in length.
It replaced an earlier covered bridge built in 1911 about 200 feet upstream from this location. That bridge consisted of five covered Howe
Trusses and was 750 feet in length.
The bridge was relocated when the Milwaukee Road abandoned their tracks between Monroe and Everett because of the high cost of maintenance and decided to rent the use of the Great Northern tracks instead. As a result their tracks had to be relocated for the merge with the Great Northern mainline.
The covered bridge was replaced in 1969 by four steel spans, which were demolished in August 2005 because the line had been long abandoned and the bridge was in danger of collapse.
This photo was taken in 1969 as it was being replaced (note the new construction of the steel trusses in the foreground). Taken from the Buck Island end (north).
Monroe Historical Society Photo 1406. If you know more about this picture, please contact the Monroe Historical Society at (360) 217-7223.