One man was severely injured and another injured while trying to rescue him from a house fire late Monday afternoon in Sultan.
The fire broke out in the early evening in a two story home off 132nd in a wooded area close to Sultan Basin Road east of Sultan. The fire began on the upper floor, and preliminary evidence suggests that the man there tried to extinguish the flames and got trapped.
A man on the lower floor heard his cries and ran up to assist, managing to move the victim to the porch, himself getting injured in the process.
When emergency workers arrived, it was clear that the upstairs victim’s injuries were grave, but it was too cold and conditions too icy for a helicopter to safely transport him to Harborview, so he was transported by ground.
The man who rescued him was taken to Valley General Hospital.
Sultan Fire Chief Merlin Halverson said Tuesday afternoon that the critically injured man is still alive.
“I would have said that he wasn’t going to make it, but now they say he is going to make it,” said Halverson.
The house was almost entirely destroyed. The fire appears to be accidental.