A four-legged fire alarm saved two residents of a Monroe home from a house fire that started as the result of a Christmas tree igniting.
At just about 8 a.m. Saturday morning, barking dogs woke a resident in the 182nd Ave. S.E. home, who awoke to discover the fire. That resident shouted to alert the home’s other occupant. Both people escaped with their pets.
The fire destroyed the home, with damage estimated at $85,000. The Red Cross is assisting the displaced residents.
Christmas trees do present a fire hazard if not unplugged at night. And wrapping electrical cords around themselves can lead to overheating. Also, trees must be watered to prevent drying out, whereupon they become much more flammable.
There are about 230 Christmas tree fires every year in the United States, and six lives are lost on average. Christmas tree fires are three times more likely to be fatal than the average house fire.