This photo which looks west up Main Street was taken shortly after the fire of Sept. 16, 1901, which wiped out the only complete block of businesses in Monroe—the south side of the first block of East Main Street. The Monroe Cash Store and R.H. Stapleton Groceries and Hardware are visible on the north side of Main Street at the intersection with Lewis Street.
The fire was discovered at 1:10 a.m. when Dr. Ball returned from Wallace (now Startup) and found the two-story Odd Fellows Hall burning. B.L Monck’s Hardware store was next door and burned, as did T.F. Welborn’s furniture store. The Henry Dennis barbershop and living quarters also burned. Other businesses that burned were E.A. Roberts’ Drug Store, The Royal Restaurant and E.A. Pearsall’s Tobacco and Confectionary, which were both in G.W. Mack’s building, H.M Treadwell’s building and J.E. Dolloff and Company. J.A. Vanasdlen’s building across Ferry Street also caught fire and burned.
For a short time it was feared the businesses on the north side of Main Street would also catch fire, but they were saved.
Monroe Historical Society Photo 399. If you know more about this picture, please contact the Monroe Historical Society at (360) 217-7223.