Taking your dog to a dog park?
Here’s how to make sure you and your dog are on your best behavior.
1. Always remove pet waste!
2. Make sure your pet isn’t playing too aggressively with other dogs, especially shy, timid dogs.
3. Don’t pick up strange dogs without permission, or grab them.
4. Pick up any garbage you see, even if it isn’t yours, to keep it out of the mouths of dogs.
5. Don’t smoke in the park.
6. Watch your pet the whole time you are there.
7. Watch other animals, too, especially if you are standing out in the park with the pets, lest you get jumped on or run over.
8. Anytime you are outside the park, have your dog on a leash.
9. Have your dog’s vaccines up to date.
10. Also, if your dog has fleas, don’t bring him or her to the park until you’ve gotten rid of them. Wait 48 hours from treatment before bringing them to the park.
11. If you have an aggressive dog, work with your dog to correct that behavior before coming to the park.
12. Don’t bring a sick pet to the park.
13. Try to discourage your dog from giving other dogs overwhelming greetings as they come in.