A home in the 400 block of S. Lewis Street caught fire at about 4:16 a.m. Tuesday morning after a lamp ignited some flammable materials and was extinguished without injury or total loss of the house.
“This was a nearly 100-year-old home,” said Monroe Fire Marshal Michael Fitzgerald. “The homeowner awoke to the smell of smoke and realized there was a fire in the attic. The residents escaped on their own and firefighters were able to extinguish the fire before it grew past the attic and wall space.”
The loss is estimated at $10,000.