The registered sex offender that law enforcement has been after for months was arrested Thursday.

Gold Bar Police Chief Dave Casey received a tip via Crime Stoppers that led him to a trailer in town where 26-year-old Brett Card was staying. He was wanted on multiple warrants, including failure to register as a sex offender, and for a December burglary — one in a string reported in the area since November.

The targeted homes were entered by force. Jewelry and small items had been taken. Someone was home during two of the incidents, and Card was identified by an 18-year-old man following one of those.

Because he hadn't been confronted that day, Card turned around and ran out of the house. He admitted to the burglary, according to probable cause documents. The man, also known around the community as “Wild Card,” said he had done work for the homeowner before and sold her meth, but he wasn't paid for either.

Card sold her jewelry he stole, but would not tell deputies from whom. He told Casey he knew law enforcement was looking for him, according to the documents. He said he had called his fiancée, who lives in Forks, and asked her and others from the area to send in tips saying they had seen him in Forks.

His plan was to hop on a train and get out of Washington in the meantime, according to the documents.

Card served 30 days in jail in October for failing to register as a sex offender, according to the Snohomish County Prosecuting Attorney's Office. He was convicted of third-degree child rape in 2015, which in Washington is when a person has sex with someone at least two years younger who is between the ages of 14 and 16 years old. Card was sentenced to 27 months of confinement and 36 months of community custody.

Card had been asleep in the trailer when Casey found him. He was “pretty down and out.” Card told him he had jumped into the river a few days before. He had been walking along the railroad tracks when a spotlight fell on him, which he believed was police, so he tried to escape.

Card lost everything, including any extra food and dry clothing he had, Casey said. He tried to find places to stay out of the elements. He hadn't eaten for days, he said.

As soon as Casey received the tip of Card's whereabouts, he requested backup resources so that the wanted man would not feel he was in a situation where running was an option. They had the trailer surrounded within roughly 20 minutes, and Card gave up easily.

Casey previously alerted the community that Card would alter his appearance regularly. His hair had been dyed bleach blond when he was arrested.

Later that night, Casey had access to evidence he hadn't previously, and was able to determine that Card was not responsible for at least one of the recent burglaries. That means someone is still out there who may have carried out others.

There have been at least a dozen instances in the past two months where entry was accomplished under similar circumstances, he said. The agency is still investigating these cases, and advises residents stay vigilant, Casey said.

Card told Casey that fleeing from police had been one of the greatest rushes he had experienced. On his Facebook page, he has listed his profession as a “Career Criminal.”

Card was booked into Snohomish County Jail for the burglary, a parole violation through the Washington State Department of Corrections and failure to register. Bail was set at $5,000 for the latter, and was not listed as an option under the other two charges, according to the county's roster.